Upper-Intermediate to Advanced Level
A handy, pocket-size thesaurus which helps students find synonyms and opposites for over 5,000 key words.
No two words are exactly the same but this Oxford Learner's Pocket Thesaurus can help students find the words to say exactly what they mean. It has over 25,000 synonyms and opposites plus a wealth of extra information to help students identify differences and choose words that are right for the context.
- Up to 12 synonyms given for each of 5,000 key words
- Different terms are clearly marked, for example, British/American, formal/informal, approving or disapproving
- 100s of notes help identify the exact differences between pairs of synonyms
- Patterns and collocations help learners use the synonyms in context
Extra information at each entry helps students decide which word from a synonym group to use.
- Opposites of synonyms
- Different senses of the word, e.g. wide = broad or wide = extensive
- Notes that compare and contrast two or three synonyms so students can see the differences.
- Patterns and collocations showing the words that typically combine with synonyms in a group, to help students use the word in context.
- Style labels that act as a guide as to whether the word is positive or negative, or perhaps only used in British or American English, for example.
- Examples of correct and incorrect usage.